Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mia turns t.w.o

This also meant it has been 2 years of parenting, of joy and laughter, tears and achievements. It was just 2 years ago when I felt so insecure, unsure, doubtful yet filled with immense anticipation and happiness. I was carrying another human being inside me. Yes, to me at the time lil Mia was just another human being. A little baby kicking around my round belly. Never once when I was pregnant that I address myself loudly as "Mommy" to her. When I talked to my belly, it had always been "It's okay, I'm here" or "I love you". I had always looked at her as another person with her own personality, wants and desires.

Then she came all bundled and small. Squinted eyed and messy matted hair. One time I had time alone for myself and darling hubby in our room. She was about to cry for milk. Looking restless and wrinkled face. She started with a sound and I said, "It's okay, Mommy's here" and picked her up. I remember feeling a wave of emotions. My eyes were stinging from holding back tears. It had sounded so strong. I am a mother now. And I promise to protect you how ever I can. Period.

Dear lil Mia

You are our first born. We are young parents whom doesn't really know a lot about parenting and raising a child. All we know is that we have been dreaming about you since before we even got married. We had been talking about you for years and years. In fact we have been talking about you even before Mommy and Daddy both met! Those school years when we talk about what to name our kids and how many kids we want. One day you'll have the same conversation, and remember that that was the time and age I had talked about you.

It was you who made us smile. Just by looking at you. You made us smile. And cried tears of joy. Just by looking at you, our chest inflated with pride. We love you so much our heart feels like it's about to burst. And then you smiled your first smile. I thought I'd just seen the world much clearer and in bright colors. It was overwhelming. Your first giggles, first food, first steps, first teeth, first birthday, first day of prep school. And now you're 2. My beautiful girl is 2.

You will always be my first.

xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.