Saturday, November 24, 2007

Updates updates

Soon after the heat-gush week, when the weather just started to cool down, a dear friend who lived rather near to us, had a shock of her life. Her house caught fire. They said it was caused by a short-circuit from the back room. Luckily she was sleeping over at The Village the night it happened, only to find out close to noon that day the state of the house and her belongings.
He took half day off from work and Mai picked him up to help that day. I made some warm food for her and invited her for dinner. All in all, she gets support and help from various parties and communities. By the time we arrived, she seemed calmer and taking charge of her belongings. Hamdi, Mai, him and I went to the market to get things prepared for dinner. It was such a short notice so the simplest and easiest meal I could think of was roast chickens and pilaf. Oh and from the cosy baking day the day before, I made Red Velvet cake which turned out to be rather uncake-like. I honestly had wanted to throw the cake away, fortunately we took it to Aida's and they all gobbled them up. Hamdi offered to try his hands on it. Since the recipe's still fresh in mind, we managed to get all ingredients at the market and headed home to start dinner. Around 9pm, Adil, Haz, Ariff, Diba, Aida, and the 4 of us settle down to eat. That was also when I suppose it all dawned to her. She brokedown. To Aida dearie, I cannot say I understand how you feel. No one can ever do when no fire victim incident is the same. I wish you well and many many happiness in the future. She's left on holidays today. Now in the hands of her beloved family. Oh yea, we crowd ourselves in front of the telly that night to watch the news. She came on the morning and afternoon news but not the evening.


Thursday we were house-hunting again. Actually, I don't quite remember what else we did that day. But he was at home and it was a cool day. I made mini baguettes while Lufee hung around for a chitty chat talk. I told her about the next day's event.

Come Friday he went to uni briefly while I prepare some sandwiches with my baguettes to bring to the event. And that's where we were. They were trying to break the Guiness World Record of playing "Smoke under water" all at the same time with 2000 people. So we went there, registered, and my oh my were there a lot of people. From all ages. If you try look closely to this picture (pardon my effort of taking pictures), you'd perhaps see a faintest image of a small boy perhaps less than 5 or 6 years old holding his father's hand on one while carrying his guitar on the other. There were also a whole family playing next to us from the grandfather down to the youngest girl playing songs from their guitars. I didn't manage to capture these 2 young men in their suits and ties (perhaps came down from work) to the park with their guitars. Schoolies came down straight from schools. Not to mention the old folks. Grey hair, beat-up jeans.. I just love the way they look.


*i heard you were the star of the day*

That day didn't just end up there. We went for the opening performance "Echoes of Spain" performed by famous guitarists like Juan Martin and Elliot Fisk. It's a black-tie event so from our 'beat-up' jeans, we had to rush back home and change before heading back for the performance. Yup, from beat-up jeans to dress gowns and suits. Hurried our dinner and grabbed a cab. At the performacen, luckily enough we sat next to Peter, the president of classicals in Melbourne. He flew all the way down to be there and after the show, we turned around and he gave us free tickets to the Wah-Bar. I was given the opportunity to witness Jeff Lang play the "slide guitar". What a day/night. As I said to Lufee, 78 bucks is not too much for a guitar-freak =) Oh yes, and we managed to turn her green with jealousy. Poor girl had to work that night. Next year Luf, we'll book early ok!
I've more pictures of the event which (cross fingers) I'd upload them at my fotopages. When I've the time. Today we went for house inspections and the market. Then too tired and overwhelmed to do anything else, we stayed home watching movies. I've yet to decide Mai's b'day cake. Hmm..

No comments: