Friday, January 04, 2008

Love In My Tummy

It's so hot tonight.

I'm actually a little excited with the groceries we bought today. Am thinking of pistachio souffle, own marinated lamb kebabs, lemon-garlic dory on spinach, and some other summer salads recipes I've found lying around in my room. Unfortunately after we got back, he's full from subway sandwiches we had at the market. I actually dreamt eating subway in my short afternoon doze this afternoon. It was too hot not to.

So here I am, feeling unmotivated to move an inch. Hot and bothered. With Erik to accompany me. Good thing we've loads to catch up with.

Bear with me.
While my mind can't stop visualizing what and how I'd make these new recipes I've got hold of. I guess it's this feeling that I love. Almost like a surgeon playing back in their minds the procedures they'll go through performing surgery (okay, too much Grey's Anatomy here). I see it as a performance. Perhaps that's why I love long and complicated recipes. It's not much about inventing and stumbling across new ways and ideas - like most chefs out there. I also love the quiet time pottering around the kitchen when everyone's busy with their daily activities. There's something there not quite I could comprehend yet. Not to mention the love and attention to every detail when making them. I love baking bread. That's my escape. From the rest of the world while they spin around and turn over. Just me in the kitchen with a buzzing pre-heating oven. So when the process is over, and it turned out to be crappy, I'd be lying if I say I won't be frustrated. Of course I would. Nevertheless, don't mind at all making them again, and again and again. Absolutely engrossed in the process, finding out what went wrong.

At the moment, yes this is what I enjoy doing. So Mama said she was just like me when she was my age. Except she already has me toddling around making a mess. As for me, maybe someday I'll get over this. One day I'll know how to make many recipes that it's no longer a curiosity to me. Or I'll get distracted by something else along the way and forgot completely this deep interest of mine.

Right now, I'm on my toes waiting for the next time he'll be hungry and asking for food =)

No comments: