Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Anthony

Yesterday after tossing and turning to get some sleep the night before, I woke up to my handphone screaming. Didn't bother to picking it up, and tried to going back to sleep but couldn't so I listened to the voice message left. It was Anthony. Alerting me that the application due date is today (yesterday) and he wants my application on his table by 5pm. Thinking to myself, what application? It can't be student guide, but if not, then what is it? I've been working as a student guide under him since 2005. It is a per semester-job so everytime the semester's coming to an end, Learning Connection releases the application forms for students to apply. Only this time, I am graduating in August hence I will no longer be a continuing student from then on therefore I cannot apply. Funny thing is, I have told Anthony I won't be working anymore and we all had had a small celebration to my last day yet he took effort to calling me early in the morning to make sure I apply again.

I tried calling him back several times and couldn't get through (not surprised) so I decided to email him instead. Groggily. Having discussed the issue with my beloved, taking in his advise and also not taking any chances, I fill out the application form halfway and took a shower while waiting for him to reply my email. Thinking to myself, it's either I'm bloody good at this job that he wants me to work with him again regardless knowing that we'd breach the rules, or he's in desperation needing people filling in the position, which would be impossible. Ever since they started giving out this student guide position, there would at least 250 students if not more, applying for the position. With only 18 positions released, it's hard to believe they are desperate wanting students to fill in. They should be able to get students in a snap of fingers, anytime.

He replied.
He forgot!
He congratulated, wished me all the best and told me to come look for him if I'm still unemployed by end of the year.

Smiling to myself, I deleted my half filled application form and went upstairs to water my plants. I remember the first time I applied for the job. It was winter, I was in my beat-up jeans and black coat. The lady before me has her hair up, perfect make-up and a light brown suit. The gentleman opposite me in tucked-in shirt, and waxy hair. The other gentleman next to me in a jumper and jeans. We talked about the places we've travelled and workplaces we've been. I remember feeling so left out looking at my clothes and was sure they wouldn't even consider looking at me. I put on a brave face and as much confidence I can when my name's being called.

All four of us got in.

We even hung out once in a while. Rachel, is still working with them and at uni completing her studies in Nursing; Chris, working at DIMIA now; Timothy, lurking around somewhere at uni (kidding!). All of us didn't need an interview anymore to get a position there, only to fill in application forms. It wasn't an easy position to get into, I must say. I remember Meen tried twice some time ago and she got through til interview point the second time then they had to turn her down due to her time clash with her practicals. I remember her saying that they could have given her different time scheduling etc etc, but I doubt they'd do that for just one person. They might as well just pick another person with the amount of applicants they get. Izmia got it and only able to work once with them - she graduated. Ti Li didn't get, and she was not happy. Kok Tong got it and we worked together once. He must be studying somewhere else now. I know he wants to do history studies, elsewhere.

Adil, Haz, him and I finally got down to some pep talk tonite. It was good talk, we haven't hung out and chat since the catering night. We're all busy with exams coming up around the corner and assignments due. Speaking of which, I need to get back to. Yikes!

No comments: