Friday, October 26, 2007

Dream

Few years back in 2004, when I was back in Italy, we went to this restaurant in Milan and had 'bombas'. It's tiny balls of pizzas about the size of tennis balls wrapped in pizza dough. We had kiddie sized it because the amount they serve back there is huge! Spizzico was our favourite joint in Milan but they don't serve bombas or calzones, because their open pizzas are great! Yes, pizzas and pastas were our main dish when we were there.

They say if you love to travel, you'll love food. Or vice versa. For us, it's smack down true. Pastas are the easiest ever food anyone can make. Either white sauce or red. You can have it green or orange too. It won't be long before I try making my own pasta noodles. Only recently I found a recipe for bombas but it seemed different to the ones I had. I shall give it a try once we move out and get a proper kitchen. It was there I learnt about hens and eggs, how to cook them properly (the eggs i mean), and about meat. Contrary to popular beliefs (especially in the US and Aust now), spring lamb is tender but not as full of flavour as autumn lamb. Papa enjoyed talking to the butchers there.

Like Papa, I wish I can get hold of some animals and farm them to consumption. He farmed cows once upon a time ago and I don't remember if they are still there or has he sold them all off. Maybe when I earn a bit more and settled down properly, I'll get a couple of hens for their eggs. My uncle (Encik) used to farm lambs, chickens, pheasants and I remember he has a couple of peacocks just for show. Oh there are ducks and geese too. His backyard is enormous, hilly and green. I think he was inspired while living in New Zealand. And plus he's a veterinarian too. But no, I don't wish to farm that much. A couple of hens will do for me. And a small land for my herbs and greeneries. Also a few small logs for growing edible mushrooms. If he's creative and diligent enough, I'll let him build me an outdoor oven. No, not buy. Build. With our own bare hands. That'll do.

My dream way of living.

No comments: