Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Food

Menu for iftaar today:
Matthew Drennan's Chicken and Tiger Prawn Laksa. Only I didn't use tiger prawns, but replace them with banana prawns. And of course his version of laksa is nothing like the ever delicious laksa back home. Instead, it tastes more or so like creamy-tomyam-yellow-curry. Back home, our version of laksa would always be either the hot and sour (asam laksa) or the fishy flaky type. And of course the meat varies from chicken, beef, seafood, but the soup remains similar to one another. I am not a big fan of laksa but if I were to choose, laksa Pahang is top in my list. Especially when the noodles are homemade. The best thing about laksa Pahang is that you have to eat them with hands. Nothing beats that! (Makcik Leha makes the best laksa Pahang ever! And she makes them all herself including the noodles *yum*) It hurts just thinking about it.. sigh..

We bought a cheap food processor few weeks ago but I've yet try making anything with it. It's still in the box waiting to be unwrapped. That's the thing about Ramadhan here. There's less recipes to try. I should try making Ainsley's mayo for starters.

Usually our menu for iftaar or meal comes from him. Daily I'd ask what he wants for iftaar/dinner. The best part is when he asks for something that I've never tried before. Or when I've had too much meat then I wouldn't ask what he wants. Instead, I'll make salads or light meals from the library of food mags I collected throughout the years I spent here. Or we'd dig our heads inside our huge box of 'perencahs' and try to make use of them. I can't wait to finish them all. Next year, when we move into our own home, I'll get people to come over every other night and make them meals from the perencahs. A good way to finish the stock up. By then, I hope I've talked good sense to Papa and Mama not to send in anymore stock *cross fingers they'll listen* or I'll have to open a shop here and sell them all off.

Back home, every fast breaking time, Papa would ask me to make him 'Jemput Udang' (prawn fritters). And to him, only I know how to make them the way he likes them to be. Yesterday I made some for iftaar and I've forgotten how long it had been since the last time I made them for papa. Adik always gets 'roti jala' for his iftaar while abang scorfs down 'murtabak'. I get excited everytime the menu is noodles instead of rice. Anything besides rice, would pull me to the seat faster, those days.

Oh he's back! I've to warm up food now.
Happy Iftaar, ppl!

No comments: