Sunday, October 14, 2007

Raya

It felt so so good to the eyes seeing the kitchen spotless this morning. Aida and Hamdi slept over, maybe that's why. So we are in a good mood this morning. He was really hungry when he got up and I was so reluctant to go heat up food knowing how messy it'll be upstairs. But for the first time, we're impressed. Thank you.

Our raya was the best this year since celebrating without family. We had our friends over and hung out til almost 6pm. I wasted my time and energy worrying about them not eating rendang, kerutuk, lemang and ketupat. They loved it. I made BBQ and salads, just in case they can't handle our traditional food. And guess what, we ended up eating the BBQs as leftovers today. The rendang, kerutuk, ketupat and lemang? All gone. I managed only to 2 bites and he had one serving. Just before the last guest left, there's just enough for her to pack for Rachel (she was too tired to come from work). I love looking at Paul, Renae and Mike (although he just came back from the dentist for filling, i hope you didn't chip your tooth filling) especially, digging into our rendang and kerutuk. They even love the lemang! Hard to imagine, eh? Australians are a good breed. Well, at least our friends are. Then again, like us, they've been all over the world. They're all good travelers. Except Kate, she's vegetarian but she had helpings of lemangs, ketupat and kuah kacang (and yes Kate, the kuah kacang at the restaurants here are not what it is). I thought the kuah kacang would be too much for them to handle since it was rather spicy. Well, Rex looked a bit red but that didn't stop him from another helping. We brought our milk down to the table but no one touched it and I only used it with fondue. The rest of them are all good eaters. Sometimes I wonder if they're just saying it, or really the food was good. He said, judging from how they eat, and helpings they had, it's not hard to see. We managed to save some muffin-cakes (on his request) for us. Sorry Kate, I hope your dream of them last night lets you eat them as well. These people are high on our list the next time we entertain.

We hurried to Aunty Bedah's house after we cleaned up and with dear Lufee's help (thank you so much dear for helping us clean and sending us off), we managed to get there in time. We managed to take some ketupat for her and few ketupat palas (I purposely saved some upstairs for her). I honestly thought we'd manage to bring some rendang n kerutuk for her. Sorry aunty, next time maybe on raya haji. She made briyani and has rendang of her own. As usual, the best. Yummy. He had several helpings (well actually he polished them off) and I had twice. We met Aunty Dilla and her kids there. They live in Port Pirie.

I am impressed with Hamdi making tofee, traditionally. Boiling condensed milk from the can for hours. Mom would love this guy. Just how she loves my baby when I told her he made masak lemak cili api from looking at her making it last time she was around. Fresh and from scratch. I remember reading somewhere from one of chef books either Gordon Ramsay or Keith Floyd of another method making toffee, something like using fresh milk and boiling them with sugar. Can't quite recall. I should find it again and tell him about it. I made toffee candy once but not the creamy version.

So that's how our raya this year went. Lots of friends and luxurious food. Love it. This morning, after brunch, he played his guitar. While I browsed through my food mags. And I wonder, what more could I ask for for a relaxing Sunday.

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri!

p/s: b, you were great entertaining yesterday and your hospitality was excellent. i couldn't have done it without you. i am lucky to have you. very.

No comments: