Friday, October 12, 2007

Raya Eve

He told me million times to give up on the plants and promise we'll get good ones when we move out. I'm still hanging on to them, watering everyday. It's time to let go now actually. Except for the parsley. They seem pretty allright. After the arrival of mama and papa last August, I've left the plants for more than a week without care. Poor thing.

Tomorrow is the big day. Made kerutuk daging and mom's rendang ayam raisins last night. Today I'll prepare the ketupat, lemang, ketupat palas, marinate my BBQ chicken, prepare salad and cake for dessert. Tomorrow morning after he leaves for raya prayers, I can finish off with the rest.

So this will be our first raya together, and the first time we entertain at home. Usually we either do it some where else or I cook and bring food to our guest's house. We try not to do at home, or at night, disturbing others. Or make huge mess in the kitchen (not that we ever do, he always cleans after we cook. Yes, always. Every time regardless when he's tired, busy or whatever the reasons are. That's probably why we get annoyed, sometimes) We'd rather entertain out than in. At times like these, I miss Meen. She always cleans after meals. And Suci, who mops all the time. They don't put food out, leftovers are always in the fridge. Dining table are always empty. I do miss our days in the kitchen in Cardwell. Our kitchen is always clean and Meen will have us all spring cleaning every 2 weeks. I'll have to say they're probably the best housemates ever lived with. That alone just show responsibilities and respect. I may loathe doing dishes, but I do mind living in them. So I do them, anyway. So other people in the house can use the pots and pans that we share comfortably (i know you don't like it when i do others b, but sometimes really, i can't stand it, overnight, fine, i'll live with that, but for days?) You're brought up in certain ways. Not minding who does dishes. I was brought up never to do anything. Literally, (so what, we'ver got maids to do them). But when living with others, I learn. I make mess, I clean. I eat, I clean. It's all a part of what mama and papa nags about. Responsibility and shame. So yeah, I can say. Though they spoil all three of us rotten, they brought us up well.

Adrian left yesterday and he msg-ed me on gmail saying how much he's suffering. Poor thing. So I thought to myself, what it'll be like leaving him behind. Yea, we've done and survived long distance before so what's a month or two being apart, eh? Sigh. I think I'll have a kid before that happens. To keep my mind off him and keep me on my toes. We'll see.

Believe it or not (i still can't), some where, some time, in my puny life, I've learned and made my own baju kurung. No, unfortunately I don't believe I've inherited mama's talented-crafty sewing hands. I just got curious. So that baju kurung is still in my wardrobe in Msia. I'm not sure when I'll be able to wear them again.

My curiosity does led me doing funny things, I believe. I organized and designed Makcha's wedding (it was so tiring but so so very very very satisfying). I had a burial for a monkey papa shot from stealing our rambutans in our backyard and took out all the rambutans in his mouth to know how many rambutans he could fit in his mouth. More than 20. And he had 7-8 bullets all over his body and 2 in the head. I can still remember how he looks like. His body was still warm. I entered a shooting competition (yes, with M16 rifles) and came out the first female sharp-shooter, and yes I think I got this from papa (i hope the trophy's still in Phg). I became a sargeant once and led a platoon for 'gerak tempur' some time back in high school (looooong ago). I entered a swimming competition not that I'm passionate about swimming, it was just hot and got 2nd place. I brought home a kid from the streets once because she said she's never been swimming. To see the look she had when she saw the pool, was so worth it. I took out my piggy bank money to treat some kids at school canteen because they said they didn't have money (today, i'm glad i did that because they really don't. i went to a primary-school with orang asli and very poor ppl. but when my parents found out about it, they were not very keen of the idea that time) I remember treating this 6 yr-old girl at recess a 20cents keropok because her older brother's a sissy. I thought she must be having a hard time with him.

Sharm's on her way. Gotta give her presents. Happy Hari Raya, people!

No comments: